Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Emerald Isle


I don't know what it is about Ireland, but it just seems to run through my blood. I feel at home there.

It may be the mass amounts of pints I ingested in that country but it just made me happy. I couldn't understand half the people there, making it a little hard to figure out what was going on at times, but that made me laugh all the more.

It rains a lot and the weather changed four times a day, requiring one to bring an umbrella, a sweater, and waterproof shoes everywhere. Don't even get me started on the problems this caused for one's hairstyle. Why even bother with a hair dryer? Nothing ever dried- not even in our lovely dry summer. The clothes we hung in our living room (you couldn't possibly hang anything outside with the unpredictable clouds that float over the island) would take at least three days to dry.

And I can't wait to go back. It won't be the same because I won't be living in a house with four other girls. I won't be getting right drunk four nights a week either. I will actually care about my job this time. But I'm excited. I don't think I'll ever permanently live there- well at this point I can't see myself living anywhere permanently- but I think I could spend a lot more time there. When your distant cousin invites you out to their farm and gives you a wine glass full of brandy how could you not love it?

The memories come back to me all the time. Mostly in pubs. But nothing equates to the craziness of things that occur there.

So in January I get to spend a month there. And it might be cold or rainy or not amazing. But it will be amazing to me. The Irish Sea does something to me (knock the wind out of me) but there is something so comforting about a lovely Irish day and lovely Irish accent.

And I can't wait to get started... on a flight... in a different place... feeling something different....

2 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's awesome news, Kate! Are you doing an internship there?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger April said...

Where's your internship, girly?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home