Saturday, May 12, 2007

Newsworthy Idealism

There are many things that I want to get out of my Journalism Master's program. I am still so excited for what the future holds. It seems like many journalists are very jaded about the profession and I'm sure I will be, but right now I expect so much. I don't want to forget why I went into this program in the first place.

I want to travel, explore and learn new things.

I want to thrive in my instability.

I want to use my neutrality as a reporter to expose the indignities of the world.

I don't want to end up settled in Canada immersed in politics, bullshit, and my own frustration.

I have to remember why I am doing this- to tell stories, to use my writing skills, to meet people, to travel, and to learn.

Whenever I read the newspaper I am so drawn to the international news. Anything that has to do with the new Northern Ireland political situation, or Somalia or Uganda instantly catches my eye and I quickly bypass the many paragraphs of Canadian political gripes and scandals. I guess news is all situational- some people are interested in a local news story about a pickpocket because that is their reality, that is what they live in and for.

I suppose I am simply a Canada snob at this point. I don't want to stay in Canada, and I don't know why but the news from here just doesn't seem important in comparison to things that are going on everywhere else like wars, genocides and children dying of AIDS.


So, that's all for now. Nothing new besides a little idealism.

P.S. That prof I met with at Carleton was in the Globe and Mail for his genocide book! Ordering it online as we speak, pretty nerdily excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home